To submit writing, articles, photos, videos, musical compositions, etc., please follow these guidelines:
- On the journal's main page, Left Menu, click "Submit Article"
- LOG IN (choose one of the following)
- UNM Personnel & Student Submitters- "Login with UNM NetID"
- All Other Submitters - "Create a New Account" with a username & password
- Upload your works (one-by-one)
Submissions cannot have been previously published nor be forthcoming in an archival journal or published/soon-to-be-published book (print or electronic). Please note: "publication" in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. Additionally, by submitting material to Chamisa: A Journal of Literary, Performance, and Visual Arts of the Greater Southwest, the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that they will not submit the material to another journal until the completion of the editorial decision process at Chamisa. If there are any concerns about the submission terms for this journal, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although BePress can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to produce an electronic version of the article as a high-quality PDF (Adobe's Portable Document Format) file, or a Microsoft Word, WordPerfect or RTF file that can be converted to a PDF file. It is understood that the current state of technology of Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) is such that there are no, and can be no, guarantees that documents in PDF will work perfectly with all possible hardware and software configurations that readers may have.
- Articles (research-based studies); 5,000-word limit
- Editorials; 5,000-word limit
- Literary and other Creative Works (poetry, prose, short stories, short plays, musical compositions, choreography notations, etc.)
- Short Story (1 entry, 5–8 pages)
- 10 Minute Play (1 entry, 5–12 pages)
- Short plays or excerpts from full-length plays not to exceed 10-12 pages
- Poetry (1–3 entries, 3–5 pages total)
- Musical Compositions/Choreography Notations (1 entry, 3–5 pages)
- Photographs (analog or digital, 3–5 images)
- Works on Paper (including, drawing and prints, i.e. engraving, etching, lithograph, serigraph, etc., 3–5 images)
- Paintings (including, oil on canvas/panel/Masonite/paper, acrylic on canvas/acrylic/Masonite/paper, watercolor on paper, etc., 2–5 images)
- Sculpture (including, wood, metal, ceramic, stone, paper, also, ofrendas and installation, etc., 1–3 images)
- Jewelry (including, precious metals, wood, stone, ceramic, etc., 1–3 images)
- Textiles (including, colchas, weaving, rebozos, sabanillas, and any other traditional textile forms, 1–3 images)
- Woodworking (bultos, retablos, nichos, furniture, and “decorative” objects, 1–3 images)
- Metalwork (iron, tin, copper, brass, etc., 1–3 images)
- Miscellaneous (including, body art i.e. tattoos, paño drawings, low-rider/car art, etc., 1–3 images)
- Cinematic Arts (stills, 3–5 images)
- Digital Media (3–5 images)
- Stage Design (3–5 images)
- Architecture (3-5 images)
Fill out our submission form online during the period specified and attach an electronic copy of your work. Writers should submit work in either Rich Text Format (rtf) or as a Word® document.
Submissions may be in English or Spanish.
Visual artists may attach low resolution (72 dpi) tiff, gif or jpg images. If accepted for publication, high resolution images will be needed.
Best consideration date for submissions for the inaugural journal issue are due by September 25, 2020. Authors will be notified of final editorial decisions by November 1, 2020.
If there are any questions about the submission process or difficulties with this form or with online submission, please contact: email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) Because Chamisa is committed to showcasing the work of artists, writers, performers, researchers, and other creatives in, from, or with an interest in the U.S. Southwest, we ask that you please include a 200-word biography with your submission explaining your connection to and/or interest in this region of the country. Also, indicate if your work has been submitted to and/or is being reviewed by another publication.