The Malaga community is the southernmost settlement in Eddy County, New Mexico. The village is seventeen miles southeast of Carlsbad, New Mexico, on U.S. Highway 85, and eighteen miles north of the southern boundary of the state. Early settlement and development of the community is traced in a survey made in 1941 by Johansen and Rossoff.
One hundred forty-three pupils were enrolled in the school in May, 1948. The school census as of April, 1948, listed 191 school-age persons in the community. Eight of the latter were attending the high school at Carlsbad. The remainder of those on the school census and not enrolled in any school were either persons under eighteen years of age who had completed the eighth grade at Malaga or elsewhere or school-age youngsters excused to work.
Level of Degree
Teacher Education, Educational Leadership & Policy
First Committee Member (Chair)
Bonner Milton Crawford
Second Committee Member
Everett Hays Fixley
Third Committee Member
Loyd Spencer Tireman
Kornegay, Raymond C.. "An Evaluation of the Malaga Rural Elementary School." (1949). https://digitalrepository.unm.edu/educ_teelp_etds/128