The ruins of Quarai are owned by the University of New Mexico. The fifteen acres of property contain the mission and mounds of the early Tiwa Pueblo. The mission--church and monastery--which stands northeast of the pueblo houses was constructed during early Spanish times.
From May, 1934 to May, 1935, a project of the Civilian Construction Corps has been in progress, excavating and repairing this mission. The program, at the present time, is not complete, but it is expected that this phase of the project will be finished by late summer this year.
All the work was purely for the purpose of preservation. In no instance was reconstruction attempted. The repair was made where necessary and was not carried beyond the clews noted.
Quarai, Tiwa Pueblo, Quarai Mission and Monastery
Level of Degree
UNM Department of Anthropology
First Committee Member (Chair)
Edgar L. Hewett
Second Committee Member
Donald Dilworth Brand
Third Committee Member
Lansing B. Bloom
Ely, Albert Grim. "The Excavation and Repair of the Quarai Mission." (1935). https://digitalrepository.unm.edu/anth_etds/97